New York and Philadelphia – November 17, 2020 – The National Association of Water Companies (NAWC) has released the 2019 edition of the Contract Operations Report, produced by Mazars in the US. The report compiles survey data on the contract operations of water and wastewater utilities, with the goal of measuring industry growth and the performance of the private sector involved in these operations. This year’s report compares the latest data to the 2018 findings, better illustrating trends and sector performance.
Water and wastewater contract operators provide various services including professional management, technical expertise, financial controls, and human resources capabilities primarily to municipal, regional and federal authorities responsible for water and wastewater systems.
“Public water and wastewater systems in communities across the nation are well served by the contract operator professionals who support safe and reliable drinking water and wastewater services,” said Robert Powelson, NAWC President and Chief Executive Officer. “Mazars’ recent report provides more granular information to enable contract operators to serve customers even better as the industry grows.”
The report identifies approximately 50 market participants in the contract operations industry, including four national participants, and 14 regional participants, with the rest being more local (usually a single state). All national participants, and seven of the regional participants, provided data. This survey, therefore, covers around 85% of the identified industry.
The report demonstrates:
- Growing demand for contract operations services
• The companies surveyed manage nearly 6.9 billion gallons per day and serve 37.4 million people – an increase in both categories over the prior year.
• The Contract Operations segment of the water industry is growing, servicing more clients (1,642 contracted clients in 2019, compared to 1,629 in 2018), and is generating more revenue ($1.76 billion in 2019, up from $1.66 billion in 2018).
• Over the past two years, revenues reflect industry-wide growth of 10.2% on average
- High overall customer satisfaction within the contract operations industry
• Greater than 99.5% retention rate with respondents reporting only nine contracts that reverted back to the public sector in 2019.
- Prevailing model is for full contract operations and maintenance agreements
• Nine out of 10 agreements are for full contract operations and maintenance rather than a segmented or limited role.
The Report was published by NAWC’s Contract Operations Committee, a group that helps raise awareness around the solutions available to municipal, industrial, and federal water and wastewater utility owners. You may download the report at: https://blog.mazars.us/nawc-2019-contract-operations-market-report/.
About Mazars USA
Mazars USA LLP is an independent member firm of Mazars Group, an international audit, tax and advisory organization with operations in over 90 countries. With roots going back to 1921 in the US, the firm has significant national presence in strategic geographies, providing seamless access to 24,000 professionals around the world. Our industry specialists deliver tailored services to a wide range of clients across sectors, including individuals, high-growth emerging companies, privately-owned businesses and large enterprises. For more information, visit www.mazars.us.
For media inquiries: Beth More, Director, email@example.com